My first test included a basic vanilla recipe in which I substituted frozen strawberries that I let thaw. It was a disaster. The strawberries had thawed but were not room temp so the cupcakes looked great but tasted horrible and had a horrible watery consistency. Now on to the second test that I used fresh strawberries and puréed them and added them to the recipe which worked out perfectly.
So what did I learn, I need to test the idea of strawberry chunk cupcakes with letting the strawberries thaw to room temp, dry them with a paper towel, and chop them up. Then add to the recipe and go from there which I am going to do but until then I am satisfied with my fresh strawberry cupcake with strawberry icing. I am still working on the icing consistency since the fresh puréed strawberries made it very watery as you can see in the photos. Testing will continue and I will make sure I post the icing when I figure out the perfect formula.